B-2 Visa, visitor visa for pleasure, tourism or medical treatment
The B-2 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the United States temporarily for pleasure or medical treatment.
In practice, the B-1 Visa(business purpose) and B-2 Visa(pleasure) are usually combined together and issued as a "B1/B2 visa" valid for a temporary visit for either business or pleasure, or a combination of the two.
Family: Spouse and children are not eligible to obtain a dependent visa. They must apply separately for a B-2 visa.
Period of Stay: initial stay generally is 6 months. B-2 Visa holder who wish to stay beyond the date indicated on their Form I-94 are required to have approval by USCIS
Green Card intent: Not permitted. The foreign national must satisfy the consular officer that he will return abroad upon the completion of his temporary visit for pleasure and will not engage in unauthorized employment in the United States.
In fiscal year 2010, USCIS received 441,152 applications for B-2 visa, approved 358,087, denied 83,065, waived or overcome 41,075.
USCIS also received 4,441,364 applications for B1/B2 combined visa, approved 3,278,782, refused 1,162,582, waived or overcome 304,488.
Use of B-2 Visa:
Advantages of B-2 Visa
- Travel within the US
- Visit family or friends
- Participate in activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature
- Obtain medical treatment
- Cohabiting (unmarried) partners of non-immigrant visa holders.
Requirement of B-2 Visa
- No Sponsor from United States Required
- Easy application and quick decision at consulate.
- possible to seek a change of status
Required Documentation and Fee for B-2 Visa
- Valid Passport
- Non-Immigrant Intent: Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad
- Financial Capability: Evidence of funds to cover expenses
- Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160.
- A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States.
- One (1) 2x2 photograph.
- Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee
- Visa issuance fee
Last Updated: 8/29/2014.