Immigration Blog

Different Types of U.S. Work Visas

By Bill at April 10, 2018 16:16
Filed Under: Immigration News, Visa Knowledge
On April 6, USCIS has reached the congressionally-mandated 65,000 H-1B visa cap for fiscal year 2019. USCIS has also received a sufficient number of H-1B petitions to meet the 20,000 visa U.S. advanced degree exemption, known as the master's more

H-1B visa is not the only work visa that U.S. employers could use to employ foreign workers. Following are a few other types of U.S. work visas that are available. Please visit USA Worker Visa Comparison to review the complete list.
  • L1 Visa, Intra-company Transferee Visa, companies operating both in the US and abroad can transfer certain classes of employee from its foreign operations to the US operations for up to seven years.
  • O-1 Visa, Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement, for the individual who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics.
  • TN Visa, NAFTA Professional visa, allows citizens of Canada and Mexico to work in United States in a prearranged business activity for a U.S. or foreign employer as NAFTA professionals.
  • J-1 Visa, Exchange Visitors, for exchange visitors who intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training.
  • Q-1 Visa, Cultural Exchange Visa, for international cultural exchange programs designated by USCIS. The J non-immigrant visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs designated by the Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs.
Every year, United States issues about 10 million non-immigration visa. Please visit USA Visa section to review the complete list of visas for visitors and foreign workers.