Immigration Blog

H1B Requirement 3: field of study.

By Bill at February 17, 2016 01:21
Filed Under: Visa Knowledge

Your job must be in a specialty occupation related to your field of study.

Some of the evidence you may submit to demonstrate that your degree is related to your position includes:

  • A detailed explanation of the specific duties of the position, the product or service your company provides, or the complex nature of the role you will perform, and how your degree relates to the role.
  • Written opinions from experts in the field explaining how the degree is related to the role you will perform.
  • Printouts from online resources describing the degree fields normally associated with the occupation.  
  • Evidence that similar companies in your industry require similar degrees for similar positions. 

If your position qualifies as  do not have at least a bachelor’s degree in a field related to your position, then you may qualify by:

  • Holding an unrestricted state license, registration or certification which authorizes you to fully practice the specialty occupation and be immediately engaged in that specialty in the state of intended employment; or 
  • Having education, specialized training, and/or progressively responsible experience that is equivalent to the completion of a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree in the specialty occupation, and having recognition of expertise in the specialty. through progressively responsible positions directly related to the specialty. In general, 3 years of work experience or training in the field is considered as equivalent to 1 year of college.  
Note:  Submit equivalency documents for all foreign degrees. If work experience is taken into account, please submit an equivalency evaluation from a college official. If the equivalency evaluation is not from the registrar, submit a statement from the school’s registrar to establish that the particular evaluating official is authorized to grant college-level credit on behalf of his or her institution.