Home > Immigration Blog > post: Great News! H-4 visa holders can apply for work authorization in May!

Great News! H-4 visa holders can apply for work authorization in May!

Myvisajobs team are excited to share some great news with you! USCIS announced on Feb 24 that the final rule allowing spouses of certain H1-B visa holders to obtain work authorization was approved, and would become effective on May 26, 2015view final rule orUSCIS announcement 

USCIS estimates the number of individuals eligible to apply for employment authorization under the new rule could be as high as 179,600 in the first year and 55,000 annually in subsequent years. The numbers are nearly 85% higher than previously estimated

Under the new rule, eligible H-4 dependent spouses must file the revised Form I-765(Application for Employment Authorization), with supporting evidence and the required $380 fee in order to obtain employment authorization. Once USCIS approves the Form I-765 and the H-4 dependent spouse receives Employment Authorization Document (EAD), he or she may begin working in the United States. 

Eligible individuals include certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B nonimmigrants who:

  • Are the principal beneficiaries of an approved Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker; or

  • Have been granted H-1B status under sections 106(a) and (b) of the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-first Century Act of 2000. The Act permits H-1B nonimmigrants seeking lawful permanent residence to work and remain in the United States beyond the six-year limit on their H-1B status.

USCIS will begin accepting H-4 EAD applications on May 26, 2015. If you want to know more about H-1B visa and H-4 visa work authorization, please visit Work Visa section ofmyvisajobs.com

U.S. employers are expected to file more than 150,000 labor condition application for H-1B visa in April. It is time for you to update your career profile and pitch potential employers now! 

H-4 Visa, Work Authorization, EAD, Form I-765